KMS DESIGN GROUP PROJECTS
Bridge Street Streetscape Pheonixville, PA
Since 2005, KMS Design Group has worked closely with Phoenixville Borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania to dramatically reconstruct Phoenixville's Historic BusinessDistrict. KMS prepared design and phased construction documents for all three phases of this $6million streetscape project in the Borough's newly renamed “Ironworks District”. Only a decade ago, pedestrians and drivers admittedly detoured around this part of Phoenixville. Now it is“the place to be”for work and play. Redeveloped as an arts and entertainment district, new restaurants, shops, offices and condominiums continue to populate the neighborhood.
KMS analyzed the existing culture and history of this former iron and steel town to develop a streetscape that creates a unique sense of place, honors the past and embraces technology and cultures of the future. Developed with the pedestrian experience in mind, fine details within the overall streetscape create a memorable experience for visitors.
Project Construction Highlights Include:
• Locally made cast iron streetlight poles
• Efficient, historic, low glare lighting designed to offer even, comfortable illumination.
• Locally made clay brick pavers chosen for their historic aesthetics, with specific attention to unique brick patterns and paving design.
• Extensive use of “weathered” cast iron features including trench grates, custom tree grates, custom manhole covers, and tactile pedestrian zones.
• Use of elongated trenching and structural soil for long term street tree health